MySQL is among the most widely-used and popular database technologies, so quite a lot of tools have been created in order to make the processes of designing, creating, and administering databases easier and more convenient. However, with all of the possible options, it can be difficult to choose one tool that will fit your requirements best. That is why I prepared a list of 10 MySQL GUI tools that, in my opinion, are the best solutions both for developers and DBAs alike.
Let’s take a closer look at them.
This multi-purpose GUI tool is an IDE that comprises a wide range of features and functionality necessary for MySQL database development and maintenance. It allows you to create and execute queries, develop and debug stored routines, automate database object management, analyze table data via an intuitive interface, and much more.
In addition to dbForge Studio, Devart offers various standalone MySQL developer tools, which you can check here.
• Rich code formatting functionality that allows to create and modify code profiles to standardize your code and make it as clean as possible
• MariaDB databases are supported
- Ability to create result scripts for SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements to a SQL file with the help of the CRUD Generator
MySQL Workbench is a unified visual tool for database architects, developers, and DBAs. It provides various functionality for designing, developing, and administering databases. It’s available in 3 editions — Community, Standard, and Enterprise. Community is a free open-source edition offering a basic set of features, and the remaining two are commercial editions with extended functionality.
• Allows seeing server status and health, as well as server logs
• Developed by Oracle, the company behind MySQL itself, so you can be sure MySQL Workbench will be compatible with all recent features of MySQL
- Available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X
phpMyAdmin is a web-based MySQL administration tool written in PHP. It’s one of the most popular tools of its kind, mainly due to how easy it is to use and the fact that it’s completely free. It may lack some advanced features other tools provide, but its basic functionality is enough to help you create functioning websites without advanced knowledge of MySQL.
• Can be easily accessed from most computers because it’s web-based
• Simple to install and use
- Available in 80 languages — both left-to-right and right-to-left ones
HeidiSQL is a lightweight freeware tool for working with databases, be it browsing or editing data, creating and modifying tables, managing user privileges, or other tasks. In addition to Windows, it works with Linux distributions but will require the Wine platform in this case.
• Can connect to MySQL databases through an SSH tunnel.
• Allows to batch-insert ASCII and binary files into tables
• Available in a portable version which doesn’t require installation or administrative privileges
Toad Edge for MySQL provides a toolset for database development and administration with features such as schema comparison and synchronization, SQL query monitor, robust data import and export, database snapshot creation, advanced JSON editor, and more. Toad Edge is available for Windows and Mac OS X.
• Powerful JSON data browser/editor functionality
• Session viewer that allows to track current sessions, terminate them, or cancel queries
- Round-the-clock user support
SQLyog is a MySQL management solution for Windows available in three paid editions. It also has a free trial which allows you to test the software before purchasing a license. Its extensive feature list makes up for the fact that it’s not accessible for free — you can synchronize data and schemas, perform scheduled backups, import external data, and much more.
• Customizable user interface with various themes
• Multi-threaded query execution
• Shortcuts which allow generating SQL DML statements from the schema definition
If you found this List useful, continue reading on the blog to learn more about the best MySQL GUI Tools — https://codingsight.com/10-best-mysql-gui-tools/.
Thank you and stay tuned!